Sunday, August 30, 2009

We made it!

Wow, what a crazy couple of weeks! I have to thank my mom for having the family goodbye party and Jennifer for the fun final party. She made up a jeopardy travel edition that was a lot of laughs. We didn't sleep much the last couple of days, lying awake thinking about all the things we still had to do. But we made it to the airport, and weighed our bags. Emily - 13 lbs, Josephine- 16 lbs, Jane- 30 lbs and Mike- 35 lbs. When I put on the day pack I'm sure I added another 5 lbs and I almost fell over! I tried to be a minimalist! I will definitely be stronger by the end or have severe back problems. The flight to TO was uneventful, we then had 6 hours to kill before we left for London. We had supper, read etc and then boarded at midnight. Unfortunately I got stuck beside the 15 year old who was constantly bumping me, putting his bag on me, telling inappropriate stories to the guy in the isle, heavy breathing into his barf bag and making the sign of the cross frantically as we landed. Needless to say, even with Gravol I didn't get much sleep! We all said a little prayer of thanks as we landed and got off the plane. We got through customs, donned our backpacks and made our way to the hostel. There were a few hick-ups when we got there, but we ended up with a better room than originally booked....our own bathroom and shower!!!! Josephine came up with the quote of the day, she said, "Hick-ups make the trip seem real. If it all worked out perfectly, it would just feel like a dream". I love that kid's positive attitude. We all have a "keeper" designation for the trip and she earned hers Keeper of Sanity. Mike is Keeper of the Cords (all the electronic stuff), Emily is Keeper of Fun and Happiness and I am of course the Keeper of the Book of Everything (the itinerary, maps etc). At this point we were very tired and flopped on our beds for a bit, but with a little food made it to the tube again and off to Buckingham Palace. We got there a little late so we viewed the Queen's gallery and will go back tomorrow to see the Palace, changing of the guards and the Royal Stables!!! We dragged ourselves back to the hostel, ate the best chicken curry ever at a little Mediterranean place and now I'm ready for bed! Been an exciting day, I'm sure we'll all feel better after some sleep. Oh a couple of horse pics for Jen....can you believe that they have a crossing sign just for horses?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to see you got there safe and sound! The photos are awesome! It was great to see you guys Thursday...guess that feels like a long time ago already. Happy travels.

Tim Turenne said...

Why does the word 'dragged' keep coming up? :) Hope you guys get energized and in the groove real soon to get the most out of the experience. Thanks for the update