Saturday, September 5, 2009

Horse Edition

It's been a whole week, but with what we've all done it feels like a month! We are getting the hang of the home schooling work...the girls have been really great. They even want to do more Math than they have to. We're bonding well, 24/7 is a little intense sometimes so we're glad that we all have ipods to tune each other out when we're on the trains.

Today was a fantastic day for me. Burghley horse trials is a 4 star event 90 miles outside London. We went for the X-country day which is the most exciting day. There were 80 horses,1000 dogs and probably 200 - 300,000 people! The jumps were awesome, the horses gorgeous and the weather perfect. We walked the course once seeing 1-3 horses jump each fence. There were huge drops, lots of tricky "skinny" fences and even a waterfall jump. Kyle Carter (1 of the 2 Cnds) the guy who bought my last horse, was there. Unfortunately he had a fall at jump 20 while we were waiting to see him at jump 22?! He and his horse were ok but a fall is an elimination. Bumber since he was clear up until then. There was a huge shopping area, and horse lovers... you would have gone nuts. I've never seen such great horse stuff, I could have spent a fortune if I still had a horse! Oh and did I tell you about Burghley House? I don't know why they call it a house because it looks like a castle to me. The horse trials is held on the 11,500 acre estate. The house was nothing less than breathtaking!!! I would have loved to go in but it was close during the competition. We were famished by the time we got back, so we found a pub that had a salad bar...yea veggies!!!!

Got some pics from yesterday too.


Jane

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,
You are slacking off eh! Today is the 7th! The pictures are great and we all enjoy reading your stuff. I've been trying to skype with you but I can't get through. I'm leaving the computer on all day in hope of a chance to talk.

Jen

Anonymous said...

Great pics! Looks like it was worth it to spend the extra $ for the stonehenge up-close-and-personal tour. Do you have any more horse adventures planned? Ali says 'hi'. Ric is harvesting. Weather is hot.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane,
Oh I wish I were biking with you. Loved the chalk cliffs of Dover and the ferry over, Canterbury castle and history fascinates me. Enjoy gay Paris.
Mae