Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Athens March 24th

Hello all
We are safely in Athens! The worries that I had about getting here never came so I thank you all for your prayers.
We arrived on the 22nd and so far we have put a lot of Km on our shoes, however we have not gone to see the sites yet, we are going to see most of the ruins on Friday with a tour guide.
The Greek food here is amazing and we are loving the flavors. Yesterday I went to the war museum and I was surprised by all the people that have fought with Greece and how many times they were defeated by the Grecian people. As a Canadian I am happy that we didn't have to fight so many different nations. The loss of life must have been high! After I left the museum there was a demonstration however it was quite peaceful and nothing really happened.
Today we went to a sea turtle rescue centre and were taken aback by the size of the leather backs. Jane and the kids will probably go back on Sat to help out, I think I will stay here and protect our valuables. It was quite difficult to get out to the centre since today there was a parade downtown with all the school kids. Something to do with a national holiday, not that anything was closed. Tomorrow is the big day Greece independence day. There is a big parade down town which we are hoping to catch, since nothing is going to be open anyway, so why not hey!
Bye for now from Greece where the temp is around 20 every day so far, sweet.

Mike

No comments: