Thursday, November 5, 2009

Knights in Jeans, and Auschwitz


Today we went shopping! Mom finally bought boots ! When we went to go buy jeans ( since hers got a hole in the bumb!) at the market Mom asked where she could try them on, the sales person responded by saying "Here" Mom was totally shocked who ever heard of trying on jeans where tons of people can see you?! We all laughed very hard as Mom pulled off her jeans. Of course none of us looked, that would be rude! After that incident we walked around for a bit and Dad left for Auschwitz. We went into St. Mary's Basilica and saw the biggest alter in Europe. It was huge!!! n the outside there were 12 panels depicting the life, death, and resurrection of Christ. On the inside there were 6 other panels along the sides and in the center the ascension of Mary to heaven. Then we walked back to the castle and on the way we met a knight and we took some pictures with him. Josephine stabbed him with his fake sword. It was fun! the dragon is a resident of Wawel Castel, he spews flames every 2 min!
Emily

Auschwitz
I went to Auschwitz to see the concentration camp and I am saddened to see the place! The girls did not visit Auschwitz they decided to stay in Krakow. The camp was interesting and sad place to see if one can say it that way! I took a mini bus out to the camp and got there an hour before the tour started, so I went around the camp and visited a few of the blocks on my own. I was surprised to see so many people out to visit on a rainy day. You were not suppose to take pictures inside the camp however everyone was taking pictures there so I didn't too bad taking some. They had the same saying over the gate at Auschwitz as they did in Dachau, which was work will set you free, yea right!
There was not as much to read in the rooms as there was in Dachau, however there were more reminders here of who inhabited and died there than at Dachau so it was interesting to see the difference between the two. However what happened at both were not good to recount.
At 3pm we all watched a movie about what happened there then we met our tour guide there were suppose to be 4 of us, but I was the only one there at the time so I had a private guide and she told me so much that it over whelmed me with facts and figures. One interesting thing is that the reason why they pick this place to create the concentration camp was because it was a Polish military base before hand with was in perfect condition and thus they didn't have to do a lot in the beginning to create the camp. But after a while it was transformed into a huge camp.
I could go on for ever, but I won't, all I have to say is that we should never forget to remember those that lost their lives there! And to fight those that don't believe that it never happened, like the president of Iran who belives that it was a good thing. What an idiot.
Mike

1 comment:

Sammi Carriere said...

Yeah for being brave and changing in a public place, Jane. You are my hero!